How Do I Apply For The Building Safety Fund?

What is the Building Safety Fund?
High-rise buildings are defined as buildings over 18m of height. The Building Safety Fund was released in March 2020 for remediation of unsafe cladding on high-rise residential buildings with fire-risks that are associated with the cladding. The Fund opened for new applications, and with adaptions, on 28 July 2022 for eligible buildings without a funding solution in place. To qualify for the fund, the building owner or developer will need to justify that they are unable to afford to rectify the life-safety fire risks without the funding.
What qualifies a building owner or developer for the Building Safety Fund?
The fund is part of the wider Building Safety Programme which aims to ensure that residents of high-rise buildings are safe in their homes – now and in the future. Unlike other funding, the Building Safety Fund is open to public and private sector applicants. Applicants must meet the following criteria to qualify:
  • Buildings that are 18 metres or above (with 30cm tolerance),
  • Buildings have at least one qualifying residential leaseholder (with the exception of social-sector landlords applying due to financial viability concerns),
  • The building must have cladding, as defined in the PAS 9980:2022 code of practice,
  • Buildings have a Fire Risk Appraisal of External Wall construction (FRAEW) following the PAS 9980:2022 methodology which recommends actions to address fire risks to life safety presented by the external wall system.

All new Applicants should provide a Fire Risk Appraisal of External Walls (FRAEW) following the PAS9980:2022 methodology unless they have:

  • Committed to or started works to remove and replace cladding on or after 11 March 2020 but before 28 July 2022, and
  • Not completed works to remove and replace cladding by 28 July 2022 and the application is for these works.

How do I apply for the Building Safety Fund?
To apply for the Building Safety Fund, applicants must complete and submit an application form. The application form requires the following supporting documents:
  • FRAEW Report with supporting documentation (not applicable to your application if you committed to or started works to remove and replace cladding between 11 March 2020 and 28 July 2022 (refer to guidance for more information),
  • Evidence of the height of the building using a Height Verification Report,
  • Document confirming that the works are not affordable (private registered providers of social housing only),
  • Vendor Form SAP7B (private registered providers for Social Housing only).
How do I obtain the supporting documents?
You will need to obtain the above supporting documents in order to qualify for the funding. As building compliance experts, we can assist with putting together the required documents. Get in touch with us using the button below to talk with one of our experts about:
  • Putting together an FRAEW Report
  • Gathering evidence of the height of your buildings through the use of specialist surveying equipment to undertake a laser scan, complying with RICS guidance (a Height Verification Report)
  • Any further questions you have relating to the Building Safety Fund or building compliance

Share This Post

Professional, accredited and highly skilled in delivering building compliance and surveying consultancy

Firntec is a leading provider in building compliance and surveying consultancy. We work with landlords, organisations and UK businesses to ensure their buildings are compliant for use by all. We carry out top-quality fire risk assessments and building surveys across a multitude of sectors.
Our Expertise
  • Fire Safety
  • Building Safety Case Consultancy
  • Electrical Safety
  • Asbestos Management
  • Legionella Management
  • Measured Building Surveys
  • BIM 3D Modelling
Sectors we work with:

Get Updates And Stay Connected - Receive Building Compliance Insights

©2024 Firntec LTD.  England